How to write professional letter correspondence
Professional letters follow a structure that is similar to most other formal letters. The following are the parts of the professional letter in the order they appear:
- Sender’s Address: Place the sender’s address at the top of the letter one line above the date. Do not write the sender’s name or title, as it is included in the letter’s closing. Include only the street address, city, and zip code.
- Date: Write out the month, day and year the letter was written two inches from the top of the page.
- Inside Address: Recipients name and address. The inside address begins one line below the sender’s address It should be left justified, no matter which format you are using.
- Salutation: Greeting such as Dear Ms Jones
- Body: Open the first paragraph, with a friendly opening and then a statement of the main point. The following paragraphs should justify the importance of the main point. Continue justification with background information and supporting details. The closing paragraph should restate the purpose of the letter and, possibly request some type of action.
- Closing: The closing begins at the same vertical point as your date and one line after the last body paragraph. Capitalize the first word only and leave four lines between the closing and the sender’s name for a signature.
- Enclosures: If you have enclosed any documents along with the letter indicate this by typing Enclosures one line below the closing
When you write a professional letter keep in mind it is important to be concise.
Tips and suggestions for how to write professional letter correspondence
The following tips and suggestions will be useful and should be kept in mind when writing a professional letter:
- Avoid long words or long complicated statements. They don’t impress and can confuse the reader
- Avoid the use of acronyms and technical jargon in your letter
- Be specific when you write professional letters and use examples to back up what you say.
- Proofread your letter. Spelling mistakes and grammatical errors make you seem unprofessional
If you are unsure how to write professional letter correspondence, you may want to consider using our professional letter writing service.
About our professional letter writing services
We provide complete professional letter writing services for any type of letter for any purpose. Our letter writers are skilled professionals with extensive experience in professional letter writing, resume letter writing and advanced degrees in their field. Every professional letter we write is original and tailored to a client’s specific need. Additional benefits of our service include:
- Complete customer satisfaction guarantee with every letter
- Affordable rates that are easy on your budget
- Customer confidentiality always assured
- Live customer support 24/7