How to write a professional letter to a judge
There are a number of different circumstances under which you may want to consider writing a letter to the judge. Some of these include the following:
- Writing a letter on behalf of a victim
- Writing your own victim statement
- Writing a letter requesting leniency for a defendant during sentencing
- Writing a letter requesting leniency for yourself during sentencing
The content of the letter you write may vary to a certain extent, but essentially the process is the same. First the letter will need to be addressed properly and set up. The entire letter needs to be left aligned. Start with the judge’s full name and address. Skip a space and put your complete address. Skip another space and enter the date. Leave another blank space and enter the salutation which should be: Dear Judge Last Name.
You should now have something similar to the following:
The Honorable Judge First Name Last Name
Judge of Name of the Court
Your First Name Last Name
111 Any Street
Any Town, Anywhere
Dear Judge Last Name
Now you can get the main content of the letter.
Writing the body of the letter
As mentioned, the content of your letter will depend on the purpose. The letter you write will basically be structured as follows:
- Introduction – Introduce yourself and give your reasons for writing
- If writing a letter on behalf of the defendant, discuss positive aspects of the defendant’s character and how the sentence will affect the defendant and his or her family.
- When writing on behalf of the victim explain how the victim’s life has been impacted by the crime. Include statements regarding how others around the victim have been affected.
- As a defendant asking for leniency, accept responsibility and explain what you will do to change your life.
- As a victim write about how the crime has affected you physically, emotionally, or socially. Explain how your life and the lives around you have been changed.
- Close with respectfully or sincerely. Type your name and sign
If you plan on writing a letter to a judge, sample letters of the same type can be reviewed and used as a guide for writing your own. If you are still unsure how to write a professional letter to a judge, our professional letter writing service can help.
Advantages of using our professional letter writing service
We offer all types of letter writing services. Our writers offer fast and quality letter writing help. Regardless of the letter type we are capable of providing what you need. Advantages of using our service include:
- Completely original letters customized to meet your specific requirements
- Direct access to a professional letter writer with a graduate level degree in the same area as your letter
- Complete customer satisfaction guarantee with every letter we write
- Customer support 24/7