The Importance of Knowing How to Start a Professional Letter
Professional letter salutations are important; after all first impressions count and can have a huge effect on how the main body of your letter will be received, those are however different for formal and informal letter. Get your professional letter greetings wrong and you can often lose out on whatever the purpose of your letter was. So if you are applying for a job or trying to make a sale then you need to ensure that you know exactly how to start a professional letter in the correct manner. Yet you shouldn’t forget a
Get your professional letter greetings wrong and you can often lose out on whatever the purpose of your letter was. So if you are applying for a job or trying to make a sale then you need to ensure that you know exactly how to start a professional letter in the correct manner. Yet you shouldn’t forget a professional letter closing is important as well.
Some Simple Rules About How to Start a Professional Letter
- A formal business letter by preference should open with “Dear, name:” The person’s name can be in full or just their first name if you are familiar with them.
- A social business letter should be in the format “Dear, name,” The only difference is the comma rather than colon and should be used for non business related correspondence such as a congratulations or condolence letter.
- Use a title if you do not know the person well or if the letter is formal; (Mr., Mrs., Miss., Ms.)
- If you are unsure if a female recipient is a Miss. or a Mrs. use Ms.
- If you are not sure of the persons gender use their full name; “Dear, Jerry Hill”.
- Always spell out a full title such as professor, Dean, Governor or Admiral but use abbreviations for Dr.
- Where possible do not use “To whom it may concern”; use a generic name or job title instead.
- It is acceptable to use the company name if you don’t know who you are addressing.
- When writing to more than one person use both names in the greeting; “Dear Mr. Smith and Mrs. Brown”
- For a very quick business letter it is acceptable to skip the greeting and use the subject all in capitals as your opening.
We Know How to Start a Professional Letter
If you are unsure as to how to address a professional letter or any other aspect of business or personal letter writing we are here to help you. We are a professional and highly specialized professional letter writing company that is here to help you with letters for all purposes. Our professional letter writers are highly qualified and very experienced and will work with you very closely to understand the full purpose of your letter and your expected outcome before writing your letter from scratch. All of our writing is bespoke and never copied or created through standard templates.
We offer on time delivery of fully unique letters that will have been fully tested for plagiarism and proofread carefully prior to delivery. Our services are highly affordable and completely confidential.